Do you ever get friend requests from people you don’t know?
I mean people who you don’t have any friends in common with at all? I get them all the time. I have to click on the friend request and see no mutual friends. Then I check their timeline (just in case) and they have 3 posts. Have only been on facebook for a week? How do they even get my information?
People do this on facebook all the time. They hope that you don’t pay any attention to who you friend. I mean everybody wants to have lots of friends, right? The more you have the more popular you are, right? They now have access to all your information.
What did you just give them? (If you accepted their friend request)
They now know:
- Where you live
- Where you work
- Where you went to school
- Your kids names and what they look like
- Who your friends are
- Where you like to eat ( we all post food pictures)
- Sometimes, even where you are right now (we drop pins…checking in at Hyatt Regency San Antonio, checking in at Cinemark Theaters, at the mall- a little retail therapy … etc.)
- What you look like
- Places you like to eat
- Places you’ve lived
Some people want to do bad things to you
They can now monitor your feed. They will know when you are not home. With a little extra work on their part, they could find your address and break in while you are not at home.
Your child’s picture can be shared to pedophiles. (I read and article about this recently) This is so creepy, but there are people out there who do these things.
We think we are sharing things about ourselves that we think our friends would be interested to hear. But they aren’t the only one interested.
What you can do to protect yourself
First off, don’t friend just anyone. Check them out first if you don’t know them. I know that as an author, trying to build relationships with a large group of followers ,we tend to not be as careful as we ought to be.
Once you have checked a “prospective friends” timeline to make sure they are a real person…activate privacy settings. What information are you going to give them access to? Close friends can see everything, acquaintances can see only some things. What can they share? You make the choice before someone takes advantage of your free information and makes the choice for you.
- Honeysuckle Dreams (A Blue Ridge Romance) - February 12, 2018
- Honor-Bound Lawman (Love Inspired Historical) - February 5, 2018
- Troubled Waters (Montana Rescue- Book #4) - January 29, 2018
- 10 Minute Novelists Conference - January 26, 2018
- You’re Gonna Love Me - January 22, 2018
- The Sound Of Rain - January 16, 2018
- Tate - January 8, 2018
- Treasure Me Cowboy - January 1, 2018
- Blind Spot - December 18, 2017
- If I Didn’t Know Better (Callaway Cousins #1) Callaways Book #9 - December 11, 2017